ADRIANLILLY.COM

Otherworldly Words: Vanquish

Vanquish is one of those words that many people find interchangeable with words like decimate or annihilate.  These words are a really good example of how visiting the thesaurus and hitting replace doesn’t quite do the job sometimes. As I stated in my post “The thesaurus is out to get us,” the nuances of words are lost.

Decimate, for instance, means “to destroy a great number of” or, at its root, to destroy 10% If you kill 10%, then you leave 90%. Annihilate is the flip, you are leaving something in “utter ruin” and likely leaving only 10%.

Vanquish, while sounding harsh, means to defeat. There is no mention of the magnitude, just the victory.

 

If you enjoyed this post, look around, or sign up to receive future posts via email. 

 

 

Share your thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,471 other followers

Looking for Werewolves

Fans of werewolf horror novels will enjoy The Runes Trilogy, which features a diverse character mix!

"The Wolf at His Door features a complex and twisting plot that never loses steam, with relatable and likeable characters, some seriously gruesome deaths and horror scenes, incredibly written suspense, and even some highly erotic scenes." Buys, Bears and Scares

Read the werewolf trilogy!

%d bloggers like this: